Whether you are new to sportives or not, these tips can help you out on the day of the event.
Ex-Professional Cyclists Dan Lloyd and Matt Stephens are here to help with some great tips and tricks for sportives!
– Selecting gears. Change into an easier gear before you come to a halt. It will make starting again much easier
– Stopping. It sounds easy, but it can be tricky especially when climbing on a steep gradient, remember to warn others on your intention too, take a look over your shoulder to let anyone else know.
– Route. Programme it into your head unit, this will help you with your progress as well as letting you know if you deviate from the route.
– Group Riding. If you are not used to riding in a group, leave sufficient room from the rider in front.
– One handed riding. You will need to eat and drink to maintain energy levels. Without being able to ride single handedly it will make your ride very unpleasant and possibly dangerous to yourself and others.
– Feed Stations. It’s tempting to have a long rest, but don’t. Grab what you need and then continue. Otherwise your legs can start to feel bad when you start riding again.